|Posted on July 27, 2012 at 9:35 AM|
The picture shows Sarah Jane Donohue, who was violently shaken by her baby nurse when she was only five days old, breaking four ribs, both collarbones and causing a severe Pediatric Acquired Brain Injury – PABI.
It was with tears in my eyes I read newspaper reports of Sarah Jane Donohue, who was shaken by her Baby Nurse. Sarah's parents, residents of Manhattan thought they were doing the very best for their newborn
They hired a baby nurse because they wanted everything to be perfect for their first child. So they did not understand why their newborn suddenly became lethargic and could no longer nurse at her mother’s breast.
At the time the Donohues hired her, in June 2005, Ms. Allick was legally permitted to call herself a baby nurse, even though she was not a licensed nurse and had taken only a three-day training course.
Ms Allick, a so-called "baby nurse" confessed to violently shaking and seriously injuring two babies in New York City. Sarah Jane Donohue suffered brain damage, two broken collarbones and broken ribs after their baby nurse Noella Allick, 29, shook her violently when the baby was 5 days old and have worked for about 12 families in the Manhattan area.
First-time parents Patrick and Vanessa Donohue thought they had done everything right when they chose their baby sitter, interviewing 20 different candidates before hiring Allick. They checked her references and ultimately selected her because she was a mother and appeared to have a calm demeanor. The parents are quoted to have said "We had no idea she had evil in her heart, and we couldn't have known that," (http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Health/story?id=1063502#.UBKPdrT4fY8)
These so called “baby nurses” qualification consists of a three-day course in infant and child health. They have no significant education and are illegally using the protected title of nurse, they are misleading parents and endangering infants They are not nurses as they lack the education an experience of a licensed nurse and should stop deceiving the public and begin portraying themselves as what thy are – baby sitters.
As of July 26, 2007 the New York State Nurse Practice Act reflects the passage of an amendment to Section 6903 forbiding individuals who are not licensed either as a registered professional nurse (RN) or licensed practical nurse (LPN) from portraying themselves as nurses or using the title “nurse” or any abbreviation or reference thereof http://www.nysna.org/images/pdfs/practice/scope/rn_uap_guidelines04.pdf
The “baby nurse” scam uses the reputation of the Nursing Profession to overcharge for babysitting service and to give parents a false sense of security. One should have the right to earn an honest living but to market oneself as a nurse in any form should require the proper education and licensure. To do otherwise is a violation of the law and a violation of the public’s trust.
Educational Requirements to become a Maternity Nurse:
- The educational qualifications can be any or all of the following:
- Registered Nursing degree - approximately 4 years
- Associate Degree in Nursing - 2 to 3 years in college
- Diploma in nursing - 3 years in a nursing training program
- Diploma or other in midwifery
- Other diploma or degree in related nursing fields.
In the United Kingdom, you can become qualified in maternity nursing if you are a
- Registered general nurse (RGN)
- Registered Sick Children’s Nurse (RSCN)
- Registered Midwife (RM)
- Registered Health Visitor (RHV)
- Cache Diploma in Nursery Nursing
- BTEC and NVQ in Childcare
- Maternity Practitioner Award (MNT)
More information on Maternity Nursing in the UK can be found athttp://julieannamos.hubpages.com/hub/Maternity--Nursing
Mom to Moms Advisor works to empower parents and give them the tools to do the greatest job in the world - raising our children. After searching for qualified professionals who can offer affordable QUALIFIED help in the United States, we finally have found a Team of Qualified Nurses, who are all licensed in the State of New York City. Our team consists of Dr Jane Weiser (Lactation Consultant), and Nurse Magdala Fabre (RN, Newborn Maternal Nurse Consultant)
Nurse Magdala, RN, Chini Perera-Lunemann and Dr Jane Weiser (from left to right)
More information on the above professionals can be found here : http://www.momtomomsadvisor.com/newbornmaternitycarern.htm
Advantages of Hiring a Qualified Maternity Nurse v Baby Nurse :
• Expectant and New Parents can have a Consultation via Skype/telephone to discuss specific needs
• You do not have to worry about accommodating a stranger in your home 24/7 when you bring your baby home
• You can budget hourly or daily to keep your costs to an absolute minimum
• You can meet and interview our Maternity Nurses in advance to ensure it is the type of personality that would be compatible with those in your household and YOU::)
• You will see the Nursing license and proof of eligibility to work in the United States, so that you can have the assurance your chosen Nurse can be trusted to care for you and your baby:)
• You can hire a Maternity Nurse just for a date night or to get much needed time for yourself and you will have a great time knowing you have someone qualified and trustworthy with your little one or two.
Now taking bookings for Fall 2012 Save $$$ and call us today to check availability +1-646-596-6436 and we look forward to hearing from you.